In Gesualdo, the Church of the Holy Rosary rises impressive on a square on the side of the castle. From its bell tower, at a height of 25 meters, the traditional ‘Flight of the Angel’ is celebrated.
The church, with respective Dominican Monastery, was started by the prince Carlo Gesualdo, who nevertheless succeeded only in laying the foundations, and finished by Nicolò Ludovisi in the first half of the XVII century. It obtained the title of Archconfraternity in 1912. It has three naves, nine well-decorated Baroque polychrome marble altars, a wonderful balustrade and a beautiful inlaid wood choir. The high altar, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, is truly magnificent and rich, made of polychrome marbles like the beautiful balustrade. Behind the high altar, there is an inlaid wood choir. The altar on the right of the entrance is dedicated to St. Vincenzo Ferreri. In the recess, there is a statue of the Saint, finely sculpted and adorned with a rich column and silver diadem. The pulpit and the organ are worthy to be mentioned.
On the last Sunday of August, it is celebrated, with a great and heartfelt popular participation, the feast in honor of St. Vincenzo Ferreri with the traditional ‘Flight of the Angel’. An Angel played by a child starts the flight tied to a steel rope stretched between the tower of the Castle of Gesualdo and the tower bell of the Church of the Holy Rosary, at a height of 25 meters for a route long around 100 meters, running on pulleys until meeting a man disguised as Devil, who sits enthroned on a stage symbolizing the door of the Hell, placed in the underlying Square Neviera.