The Church of the Holy Piety in Teggiano is an ex-monastery. It rose in the first years of ‘300 for the Benedictine nuns. Then, in 1474, it was transformed in monastery for the Friars Minor of Saint Francis. The fifteenth-century door of the Church is a masterpiece of Renaissance wood art that, for its value, has been put inside. Principally, Antonello Sanseverino, Prince of Salerno and Lord of Diano, commissioned the furniture and the artworks. In the apse, on a stage, there is the group of wood statues of the ‘Lamentation of Christ’ or ‘Piety’, realized in 1510-1512 by Giovanni from Nola, one of the main Neapolitan sculptors.
This is a group of six polychrome wood statues, life-sized, gathered around lifeless Christ. This work was an extreme gift to Antonello Sanseverino and his son Robert, died very young. The church, the only building in Teggiano with gothic elements, is rich in artworks.